The server must set rcon_password to be able to use this command

“The server must set rcon_password to be able to use this command.”

The server message I am seeing on my linux Dev Server and not windows locally is obvious as is its solution. The question is why have I never seen this before? Is it a new feature? Should be concerned by its desires? Should i suspect malicious code is on my server and looking to do harm once it goes live and finds an rcon password? This message gives no information of a useful nature and has no obvious reason why it is printing. Any ideas what it means? Or what command it wants? It messages every 10-11 seconds…

GTA V version? 1.46
Up to date? Yes
Legit or Pirate copy? Legit
Steam/CD/Social Club? Social Club
Windows version? 8.1 Pro (7 Fast, 10 Secure through 2023)
Did you try to delete caches.xml and try again? Yes
Error screenshot (if any) None
System specifications Intel i7-4790/MSI z97 14GB/GTX 760 2GB/Drivers Up to date Intel i3-3225/Intel HD61CR 8GB/GTX 560 1GB/Drivers Up to date
What did you do to get this issue? Played FiveM
What server did you get this issue on? None/My Favorite
CitizenFX.log file None
.dmp files/report IDs None

That message gets print to console when someone tries to access your rcon but you haven’t set a password

You see the message appear because people are lately trying to bruteforce rcon password

You can’t hide the message, also if you set a rcon password make sure you set a strong password but you will still see “invalid password”

2 Likes

Change the TCP and UDP ports to something diffrent then 30120 it worked for me.

1 Like

Great information, thank you. Also was is rcon? why does it have a password? And If #disabled is this security risk eliminated?

RCON is a protocol to execute server commands remotely

Because you don’t want people to execute commands on your server

Yes, they can’t pass any commands while disabled

1 Like

As long you don’t need rcon, you can delete it from the server.cfg, worked for me fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.