[Release] Chat Roles [UPDATED 5/30/18] [Tutorial Released]

https://gyazo.com/61f1d6024ccb86e27b95d9062259e2ae

Work fine but on the console i got this error, anyone have idea for thit

Error running system event handling function for resource rolesFX: citizen:/scripting/lua/scheduler.lua:41: Failed to execute thread: @rolesFX/sv_chat.lua:29: bad argument #1 to ā€˜findā€™ (string expected, got table)

@FAXES has a hide cmd script [Release] Hide Commands - Hide mis-spelled commands in chat! [fax-hidecmds] [1.1]

how would I make it so that the playerā€™s name isnt colored but only the role is?

Is there a limit on the number of roles? If I have too many if/elses - it bombs once it reaches a magical ā€œtoo manyā€ number. The number is about 6-7 if/else checks before it just quitsā€¦ How? Why?

Is there something running /t that has a wait timer on it that is timing out?

Iā€™ve had many more than that and it has worked fine

Is it possible that Iā€™m hitting the Discord bot too much and I havenā€™t set it up to handle that many checks? Iā€™m just not understanding why if I have ā€œa lotā€ of roles that Iā€™m checking it just stops working.

I have rewritten this script to minimise repetition of code, while allowing for more options in terms of titles.

-- roles (updated by bazilcat)
-- this array is the staff ranks, odd numbers are staff members, even numbers are their ranks
-- example  ChatRoles = {"steam:111111111111111", "Server Staff", "7",} ChatRoles[1] is the hex, ChatRoles[2] is their rank and ChatRoles[3] is the colour
-- a rank can be obtained by finding their hex in the array then incrimenting by one, the colour for that rank is the name incrimented by two
-- colours: 1 red, 2 light green, 3 light yellow, 4 dark blue, 5 light blue, 6 violet, 7 white, 8 blood red, 9 fuchsia.

local ChatRoles = {	
	"steam:111111111111111", "title", "1", -- example
}

-- none of this needs to be touched to add new roles
AddEventHandler('chatMessage', function(Source, Name, Msg)
    args = stringsplit(Msg, " ")
    CancelEvent()
    if string.find(args[1], "/") then
        local cmd = args[1]
        table.remove(args, 1)
    else
		local player = GetPlayerIdentifiers(Source)[1]
		if has_value(player) < 1 then
			TriggerClientEvent('chatMessage', -1, "^7" .. Name .. " ^6(ID: " .. Source .. "^6) ", { 128, 128, 128 }, Msg)
		else
			TriggerClientEvent('chatMessage', -1, "^" .. ChatRoles[has_value(player)+2] .."[" .. ChatRoles[has_value(player)+1] .. "] ^7" .. Name .. " ^" .. ChatRoles[has_value(player)+2] .."(ID: " .. Source .. "^".. ChatRoles[has_value(player)+2] ..")", { 128, 128, 128 }, Msg)

end
    end
end)

function stringsplit(inputstr, sep)
    if sep == nil then
        sep = "%s"
    end
    local t={} ; i=1
    for str in string.gmatch(inputstr, "([^"..sep.."]+)") do
        t[i] = str
        i = i + 1
    end
    return t
end

function has_value (player)
    for index, value in ipairs(ChatRoles) do
        if value == player then
            return index
        end
    end

return 0
end

this script donā€™t work for me do i have to disable the old chat?

Im a noobie so sorry if this is a stupid question, is there a way to add players to say ā€˜citizenā€™? cus from what i can see you have to manually add each players steam id to a role?

no trouble, anybody with any skill level was a newbie onceā€¦

i stripped that functionality out of my version, hereā€™s a version with it added back:

-- this array is the staff ranks, odd numbers are staff members, even numbers are their ranks
-- example  ChatRoles = {"steam:111111111111111", "Server Staff", "7",} ChatRoles[1] is the hex, ChatRoles[2] is their rank and ChatRoles[3] is the colour
-- a rank can be obtained by finding their hex in the array then incrimenting by one, the colour for that rank is the name incrimented by two
-- colours: 1 red, 2 light green, 3 light yellow, 4 dark blue, 5 light blue, 6 violet, 7 white, 8 blood red, 9 fuchsia.

local ChatRoles = {	
}

--this controls the title of users who's Hexes aren't listed
-- it works like ChatRoles, the first one is the title, the second is the colour of the title
local StandardTitle = {"Citizen", "9"}

CancelEvent()
        local cmd = args[1]
        table.remove(args, 1)
    else
			TriggerClientEvent('chatMessage', -1, "^" .. StandardTitle[2] .. "[" .. StandardTitle[1] .."] ^7" .. Name .. " ^" .. StandardTitle[2] .. "(ID: " .. Source .. "^" .. StandardTitle[2] .. ") ", { 128, 128, 128 }, Msg)
		else
			TriggerClientEvent('chatMessage', -1, "^" .. ChatRoles[has_value(player)+2] .."[" .. ChatRoles[has_value(player)+1] .. "] ^7" .. Name .. " ^" .. ChatRoles[has_value(player)+2] .."(ID: " .. Source .. "^".. ChatRoles[has_value(player)+2] ..")", { 128, 128, 128 }, Msg)

end
    end
end)

if sep == nil then
        sep = "%s"
    end
    local t={} ; i=1
        t[i] = str
        i = i + 1
    end
    return t
end

if value == player then
            return index
        end
    end

return 0
end

hope this helps :smiley:

1 Like

you need to stop the original, then replace the code with this and restart it.
Failing this, here is my current version set up as a standalone resource
chatroles.rar (1.2 KB)

1 Like

how is your civ set?

what?

Thanks so much!

Having a small issue, i can get the Owner role too work but when im doing other staff they still come up has citizens any quick fix?

local ChatRoles = {	
	"steam:11000011a804ed1", "Owner", "8", -- Minnesota
	"steam:11000011555301C", "Owner", "8", -- Robert 
	"steam:11000011914A210", "Mod", "1", -- Levi.R
	"steam:110000115b95ecd", "Mod", "1", -- Dice.Tucker
	"steam:110000136df58bf", "Mod", "1", -- Jacob
}

--this controls the title of users who's Hexes aren't listed
-- it works like ChatRoles, the first one is the title, the second is the colour of the title
local StandardTitle = {"Citizen", "9"}

CancelEvent()
        local cmd = args[1]
        table.remove(args, 1)
    else
			TriggerClientEvent('chatMessage', -1, "^" .. StandardTitle[2] .. "[" .. StandardTitle[1] .."] ^7" .. Name .. " ^" .. StandardTitle[2] .. "(ID: " .. Source .. "^" .. StandardTitle[2] .. ") ", { 128, 128, 128 }, Msg)
		else

end
    end
end)

if sep == nil then
        sep = "%s"
    end
    local t={} ; i=1
        t[i] = str
        i = i + 1
    end
    return t
end

if value == player then
            return index
        end
    end

return 0
end

Only thing i can see is the line break after ā€“ Robert try deleting it?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a issue with your personal client

this is one of the most simple scripts, if you canā€™t figure this out you honestly should not own a server. sorry someone had to tell you!

Hey! So I changed up some stuff in there to match the roles i wanted ingame. It starts perfectly fine in the console but wont come up ingame. It uses the default GTA 5 Online chat