MP4 Video

When can the gta browser plays mp4 videos instead of webm?

Fivem use old web browser called CEF, that doesnt have new encoders. The fivem client must be recompiled with new encoders or new browsers like Firefox or Chrome Framework. I am not sure about that.

What? That’s total gibberish.

CEF (‘Chromium Embedded Framework’, not ‘old’ at all either as it’s kept in sync with the latest Chrome code, and FiveM only uses a 5-month-old version) does not include commercial decoders as they’re patent-encumbered. Since even free products would have to pay a patent license, we can’t add this functionality to FiveM without running the risk of getting sued by MPEG LA/any corporations that are a part of it.

In addition, Firefox/Gecko aren’t embeddable and there’s no such thing called ‘Chrome Framework’.

Long story short, @guy972: never, or when the H.264 patents expire, whichever happens first.

3 Likes

So Steam browser, the people at valves are paying a patent license? By any chance do you know how much does it cost?

Yes, it is highly likely that they are.

For our user count, we estimate it at $100,000 to $500,000. This is around a few orders of magnitude higher than the actual revenue FiveM generated, since it’s a not-for-profit project.

What you think about to use ffmpeg.org but its free i think. I used this on my projects.