How to change your name

Hi,

I’ve just started playing FiveM, but I’ve been kicked from two servers already for having a non-roleplay name.
I gather that FiveM uses your steam name when you’re using a Steam version of GTA V, and that you must change your steam name to change your ingame name.

However, I don’t want my whole steam friendlist to see my roleplay name, and I don’t want to go through the trouble of changing my name back and forth every time I start/quit FiveM.

So my question is : is there a way to change your ingame name without changing your steam one?

Thanks.

GTA V version? Latest
Up to date? Yes
Legit or Pirate copy? Legit
Steam/CD/Social Club? Steam
Windows version? W10 Enterprise 1607
Did you try to disable/uninstall your Anti-virus? No anti-virus

7 Likes

Open the game, select the “Settings” option at the bottom of the screen, enter a name. Now when you join the server, your name should be what you set it to.

5 Likes

Thanks but it doesn’t work if steam is started. I managed to get it working by closing steam before starting FiveM, however I’m barred from pretty much every server. Found one where I could connect without steam after trying 10 others.

I’m going to try using a different steam account from the one where I have GTA V to see if it works.

8 Likes

Ok, I’ve moved this to the bug report category and changed the title.

This seems to be a bug with FiveM not using the name set in the “Settings” tab when the player has Steam opened.

5 Likes

I believe setting your name in the settings section only works with direct connect, or at least it use to.

6 Likes

it’s by design so that steam identities are verifiable.

a server is free to ignore the player’s preferred nickname in script, servers that kick rather than offering a script-based solution are wrong themselves.

potential alternative: hide/disable nickname field if steam is running

3 Likes

Ok so I tried with another steam account, and it seems to be working, even though it’s not the one on which I have GTA V.

So basically if anyone’s got the same issue, create another steam account and set the name you want on there before starting FiveM.

Thanks for the answers guys.

2 Likes