Adding external DLL to server

Hello all.
I recently posted a topic on mysqlf having issues adding CouchDB support via c#.
I decided to scrap that for now and just try to get an external library working. I am trying to use Newtonsoft.Json.dll. It compiles fine but I get the error: Exception loading assembly Newtonsoft.Json: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.
My attempts of adding it to my __resource.lua file:

file "Server/Newtonsoft.Json.dll"
files {
        "Server/Newtonsoft.Json.dll"
}

and adding it to my server_script;

server_script {
        "Server/MainServer.net.dll",
	"Server/Newtonsoft.Json.dll"
}

(All server side files are compiled into the subdirectory)

Thanks for any help.

Are you trying to access it from the server side or the client side? If server side, then you don’t need to include it in the __resource.lua file. Should work just fine without it. If on the client side, then you’ll have to use a specific version of Newtonsoft.Json and add it to the files list in the __resource.lua.

Thanks for the response. I am trying to access it server side and have removed it from __resource.lua, reinstalled it from NuGet, yet I’m still getting the error Exception loading assembly Newtonsoft.Json: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file when starting the server.

Here is a piece of code inside the server side file:

public class Class1 : BaseScript
    {

public Class1()
        {
            EventHandlers.Add("playerConnecting", new Action<Player, string, CallbackDelegate>(OnPlayerConnecting));
            EventHandlers.Add("playerDropped", new Action<Player, string>(OnPlayerDisconnect));

JsonConvert.SerializeObject("");
        }

and the console output:

Exception loading assembly Newtonsoft.Json: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.

Server stack trace:
  at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR (System.Int32 errorCode) [0x0000a] in <0123fd5b1a1040fe9d70a7e0d4b28acb>:0
  at (wrapper cominterop) CitizenFX.Core.IScriptHost:OpenHostFile (string)
  at (wrapper cominterop-invoke) CitizenFX.Core.IScriptHost:OpenHostFile (string)
  at CitizenFX.Core.MonoScriptRuntime+WrapScriptHost.OpenHostFile (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in C:\gl\builds\4ff63adb\0\cfx\fivem\code\client\clrcore\MonoScriptRuntime.cs:254
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) CitizenFX.Core.MonoScriptRuntime+WrapScriptHost:OpenHostFile (string)
  at (wrapper xdomain-dispatch) CitizenFX.Core.MonoScriptRuntime+WrapScriptHost:OpenHostFile (object,byte[]&,byte[]&,string)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
  at (wrapper xdomain-invoke) CitizenFX.Core.MonoScriptRuntime+WrapScriptHost:OpenHostFile (string)
  at CitizenFX.Core.InternalManager.LoadAssembly (System.String name) [0x00000] in C:\gl\builds\4ff63adb\0\cfx\fivem\code\client\clrcore\InternalManager.cs:112
Exception loading assembly Newtonsoft.Json: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.

Server stack trace:
  at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR (System.Int32 errorCode) [0x0000a] in <0123fd5b1a1040fe9d70a7e0d4b28acb>:0
  at (wrapper cominterop) CitizenFX.Core.IScriptHost:OpenHostFile (string)
  at (wrapper cominterop-invoke) CitizenFX.Core.IScriptHost:OpenHostFile (string)
  at CitizenFX.Core.MonoScriptRuntime+WrapScriptHost.OpenHostFile (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in C:\gl\builds\4ff63adb\0\cfx\fivem\code\client\clrcore\MonoScriptRuntime.cs:254
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) CitizenFX.Core.MonoScriptRuntime+WrapScriptHost:OpenHostFile (string)
  at (wrapper xdomain-dispatch) CitizenFX.Core.MonoScriptRuntime+WrapScriptHost:OpenHostFile (object,byte[]&,byte[]&,string)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
  at (wrapper xdomain-invoke) CitizenFX.Core.MonoScriptRuntime+WrapScriptHost:OpenHostFile (string)
  at CitizenFX.Core.InternalManager.LoadAssembly (System.String name) [0x00000] in C:\gl\builds\4ff63adb\0\cfx\fivem\code\client\clrcore\InternalManager.cs:112
error in mono_error_set_assembly_load: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies.

Error invoking callback for event playerConnecting: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00032] in <0123fd5b1a1040fe9d70a7e0d4b28acb>:0
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00048] in <0123fd5b1a1040fe9d70a7e0d4b28acb>:0
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <0123fd5b1a1040fe9d70a7e0d4b28acb>:0
  at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) [0x000e7] in <0123fd5b1a1040fe9d70a7e0d4b28acb>:0
  at System.MulticastDelegate.DynamicInvokeImpl (System.Object[] args) [0x00008] in <0123fd5b1a1040fe9d70a7e0d4b28acb>:0
  at System.Delegate.DynamicInvoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <0123fd5b1a1040fe9d70a7e0d4b28acb>:0
  at CitizenFX.Core.EventHandlerEntry+<Invoke>d__5.MoveNext () [0x00064] in C:\gl\builds\4ff63adb\0\cfx\fivem\code\client\clrcore\EventHandlerDictionary.cs:85

What server artifacts version are you using?

I’m now using latest but I’ve found the issue; I was building my project into a couple of subfolders to tidy it up but FiveM seems to require the external DLLs to be placed in the same folder as __resource.lua or it wont be able to find them.