Simple engine start-stop system

What is it?

A simple engine start-stop system. If your car (only enabled for cars) is stopped for 4 seconds, the engine will automatically disable itself. As soon as you hit the brakes/reverse or hit the accelerator controls the engine will be turned on and you can drive away with minimal delay.

I guess this is suited for people that want real life (sort of) mods, or for those eco hippies that want to reduce CO2! Or just for those playing on a server with a fuel script that want to save fuel while waiting for a red light…

Video preview

(or the direct link in case of embed fuckups: https://streamable.com/cs65n)

Config options:

These config options can be changed in the startstopclient.lua file at the very top.

option default value description
delay 4000 Configure the amount of time it takes for your engine to be killed when your vehicle is stopped. Default 4 seconds.
toggleCommand "ss" The command to enable/disable the start-stop system in case you don’t want it enabled. When toggling the start stop system using this command, the user preference is saved to the client, so next time the user joins, their last saved setting will be used so they don’t have to constantly toggle it on/off once they (re)join.
sendChatMessage true When true it’ll send a chat message indicating the new state when the toggle command is used.
sendNotification true Sends a notification above the minimap whenever the toggle command is used. It’s recommended to either enable this or the chat message, don’t enable both, that’s just silly.

Download

Here ya go
v1.0.2 startstop-v1.0.2.zip (3.8 KB)
v1.0.1 startstop-v1.0.1.zip (3.7 KB)
v1.0.0 Engine Start-Stop system by Vespura.zip (3.5 KB)

Installation

Drag and drop the startstop folder from the zip into your resources folder and add start startstop to your server.cfg somewhere. Optionally go into the script file to change config options if you want.

Copyright

This is made by Vespura, so, not very surprising, copyright (©) Vespura 2019.

License

Feel free to edit this resource to your liking, there isn’t much to change however, as it’s just a super basic script.
Don’t be a dick, do not re-release this, and don’t claim this to be yours because it will be taken down.

If you have a great improvement to share, let me know and maybe I can merge your changes into this script. If not, I may allow you to re-release your edited version, just please ask for permission instead of just taking what isn’t yours.

Changelog:

v1.0.2

• Vehicle lights can now be toggled while the vehicle is off using the normal lights switch control.
  • When you hold either the reverse/brake control or the accelerate control down while the vehicle is stationary, the engine won’t be shut off at all, instead of shutting off every 4 seconds and then instantly turning back on.

v1.0.1

• Vehicle lights should now remain on if the vehicle engine automatically turned off at night. As suggested by @DavidR.

v1.0.0

• Initial release
11 Likes

Thanks this is a nice and simple script

Im from Norway, Bergen so im one of those

Can you add so we can choose what car that should have this function and not

Im going to add more to this when i have tested it a bit more and get my players to also give some feedback

You know what would be nice? If you actually positively contributed to a conversation. Instead of the same bullshit generic response to EVERY resource.

1 Like

Start/stop systems exist in modern vehicles. Perhaps an idea to be able to determine which vehicles have this feature (i.e not old muscle cars).

I can look into it

2 Likes

Awesome, really nice release. Is there a way to keep the lights on at night once the engine’s off? (If it isn’t already)

Sounds good to me :slight_smile: go for it.

Yes there’s a way, but it kinda fucks up the lights state for when you want to re-set it. but it is possible.

2 Likes

Maybe add it and so can people enable and disable it on there on risk?

Great release man! Won’t run out of fuel that quick anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Legend! Thank you so much, can’t wait to use this <3

2 Likes

New version contains that lights-force-on thing between 18:00 and 07:00 as suggested by @DavidR

edit, ninja’d by @DavidR

3 Likes

You are VERY creative :slight_smile:
Good Idea and good release! :slight_smile:
Edit:
Hey I got a very good Idea! What’s about when you need to stop at a red light and the brake lights go on? :wink:

1 Like

Brake lights don’t work when the engine is off, unless you also force-on the vehicle lights.

v1.0.2:
startstop-v1.0.2.zip (3.8 KB)

• Vehicle lights can now be toggled while the vehicle is off using the normal lights switch control.
  • When you hold either the reverse/brake control or the accelerate control down while the vehicle is stationary, the engine won’t be shut off at all, instead of shutting off every 4 seconds and then instantly turning back on.
2 Likes

Hi , i would like to know what keybind is for Activate or Desactivate the system , because when i press “ss” I just don’t work , i tried to change the keybind , but same thing. What i do wrong ?

what? there’s not even a keybind. “ss” isn’t even a key on your keyboard…
it’s a command. type /ss in chat or type ss in the F8 console.

What fuel script are you using in this video?

it seems like this also turns off the radio. Any way around that?