[Release] Disable Player Blips & Overhead Names

Brilliant script! Helps a lot to avoid ‘cheating’
Was wondering if you could make it so it hid the players name and players name in vehicle.

Kind Regards,
James

That’s been requested a few times already. Working on it.

Nice mod i’ve been using this since its released

I’m confident you’re still working on this, so I’m sure I haven’t missed anything - but in case I have, has the ability to hide overhead names been added?

I’m “working on it” as in, it’s a planned feature. I’m not actively working on it all the time for a few reasons. Mainly because I don’t have the time for it to figure out how to forcefully remove every aspect of the overhead names being created by multiple trainers/resources.

1 Like

If it helps you identify it when you’re ready, I have a .lua that converts the overhead names from their username to player ID numbers that disappear depending on how close/far you are from someone.

Sure, just PM me that and I’ll take a look at it when I’ve got time. Hopefully that’ll make it a bit easier and less time consuming doing some research first :wink:

Update v2.2

You can now also disable player names above players heads.
This will follow the same “god” permission and will also only be activated if the number of online players is equal or more than the minimum online players set in the config file.

Note: My original goal was to set an optional range limit so when you get very close to someone it would still show their id. However because there’s no such native support for this that allows this to reliably work, I’ve decided to not include this into this release. So until I find a suitable solution, the blips are either completely hidden or shown at all times (of course, the permissions and min amount of online players still works).

Download

4 Likes

I hope the thing I sent helped! This is awesome. Thank you!

Yes it did, it helped me figure out what the gamer_tag_id range was.(32-64) :wink: which is is different than the regular player I’d ranges. (0-31)

1 Like

I have an older version of this script where it only disables player blips, and MrDaGree’s script to show names and/or player IDs over heads at a changeable distance, maybe you could look at his code?

I know about those kinds of scripts, but what they do is they draw text z+1.0 above the player’s head. This is not what I’m looking for because that way you’d need to manually configure what to show and what to draw above the player’s heads. I’m trying to work around this in the future but I need to do more testing and research first.

Update v2.3 (Proximity Overhead Names!)

Added an option that allows you to set a distance. If you are within that distance (in meters) from another player, you will be able to see their overhead names. If you go further away from that player their names will be hidden. You can set this to -1 to disable this feature. In which case, if you have disable_player_names = true set, you won’t ever get to see the player names. Unless you have the god permission of course, that still overrides everything and you will see the overhead player names no matter what. Download.

Any chance I can get some clarification on how to add someone to the “god” category. I added your line, as detailed in the wiki:

add_ace identifier.steam:11111111111111111 npb.god allow
add_ace identifier.steam:22222222222222222 npb.god allow

I did it twice as there are two players I’m trying to set as “god.” Not sure if this is the issue or not, however, once those lines were added to the server’s “server.cfg” file as the very last lines, the server was restarted. After the restart, the “god” did not function and the two players who were set as “god” could not see any blips. Can you confirm I’ve put the lines in the proper place, or what I could have potentially done wrong?

Thanks

They look fine to me… Ar you sure you’re adding the right steam id’s in there?
Also which version are you using, and what are your settings at the top of the client.lua file?

Here’s a quick copy paste of my settings at the top of the client file.

--- min_players_online: If the number of players online drops below this number, blips will no longer be hidden.
--- set this to 0 to disable this feature.
local min_players_online = 0 -- (default: 0)

--- blip_display_type: possible values:
-- 1: hide blips completely.
-- 2: show blips on both the minimap/radar and in the pause menu.
-- 3: show blips in the pause menu only (hidden on minimap/radar).
local blip_display_type = 1 -- (default: 1)

--- alternative_blip_display_type: this display type will be used if the player is allowed to see blips.
--- possible values are:
-- 2: show blips on both the minimap/radar and in the pause menu.
-- 3: show blips in the pause menu only (hidden on minimap/radar).
local alternative_blip_display_type = 2 -- (default: 2)

-- Set this to false if this is causing problems on your server.
-- It's a somewhat hacky solution to remove PLD blips but it's not 100% tested.
-- Also PLD blips don't take permissions or displaytypes in mind, if you leave this
-- as "true", the blips will be gone for everyone until the server restarts and players restart their game.
local disable_pld_blips = true

-- Set this to false if you still want to be able to see player names above their heads.
-- People with the god permission will always be able to see the player names.
-- If you enabled the min_players_online option, then playernames will only be hidden if there's enough players online.
local disable_player_names = true

-- Distance in meters. If you are within -distance- meters from another player, you will see their name above their head.
-- Set this to -1 if you want all player names to be hidden at all times (no matter how close you get to someone, 
-- you won't see their names). (God permission still overrides this, god players can see them all the time!)
local disable_player_names_distance = 1

I’ve double checked the steam IDs and confirmed them to be correct.

Side note - is there a way I could modify it to allow for it to use a “command” instead of a permission? That way, when someone’s in game, they can just do /god1234 or something to make themselves god?

Which client resource are you using to make the blips display in the first place, if it’s PLD only then that’s why it’s not working.

And no there’s no command that allows you to set yourself as god. As that’d defeat the whole purpose as anyone could then do it. Might as well go back to the “trusting players to turn it off” in that case.

awesome~!

20characters

I have version 2.2, but the FPS when joining is very low and it takes a couple of minutes to go back to normal 60 FPS, I didn’t have this with 2.1. I haven’t installed any other scripts since this script

If you disable all resources besides this one, do you still get the FPS drops? Because I’ve not had any issues with it so far…