NetworkSetTalkerProximity not working as intended (OneSync)

How to reproduce:

1. Try setting a single clients talking proximity to: 5.0 (Using key controls, for example).
  2. The other clients are still able to hear you, as long as their talking proximity is set higher.

What should happen:
When setting NetworkSetTalkerProximity(5.0) for a client, only clients within that radius should be able to hear him talk - regardless of their value in NetworkSetTalkerProximity.

Is this something that you guys will acknowledge is a bug? :slight_smile:

Are you sure of this? Do you have any documentation from R* or code that says that ā€˜shouldā€™ happen?

This isnā€™t a ā€˜bugā€™ though, on OneSync itā€™s designed to set the range at which you can hear other players.

2 Likes

NetworkSetTalkerProximity only sets how far you can hear other voices. Itā€™s always been that way. Why would it work any differently?

Before OneSync it would set the range of your voice - meaning how far you would talk.

The normal behavior for NetworkSetTalkerProximity is that it set both the hearing and talking range for the client.

For example, letā€™s say we have ClientA which has their proximity range set to 5.0, and ClientB which is someone else who is 8 meters away, has their proximity range set to 10.0.

Neither ClientA nor ClientB would be able to hear each other, despite ClientA being within ClientB's proximity.

Here is a diagram of how it works:

1 Like

Exactly. And right now if another client sets the native to a higher value, they can hear the player with the lower value - even if theyā€™re out of range.

Not sure how this can be resolved - Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s a way to add arbitrary metadata (the sending clientā€™s range setting) to the voice channel. :confused:

Yeah, with the legacy system all clients had to be aware of each otherā€™s proximities, and from what I can see in the mumble implementation, thereā€™s no easy way to do that.

I think a better compromise would be supporting the native NetworkOverrideReceiveRestrictions which would allow developers to build legacy-like (or custom) behavior when it comes to VoIP in OneSync. I believe Mumble also supports client-sided overrides for hearing as well.

Yeah. Implementing a way for developers to implement their own behavior for VoIP would be the best solution in my opinion.
Also, thanks for the detailed diagram explaining my issue :slight_smile:

Anyone got a workaround for this?

There was a script released here:

That fixes this but it doesnā€™t work on OneSync (like Mooshe said)