Multi character selection & character creation , what’s a girl to do :’(

Basically , we have a vRP based server, what I want is a multi slot character selection screen when you join the server, when you select new character , it lets you add an identity for the character, then once you give the character a name and D.O.B it takes you to the character creation screen…and breath

So my question is this, what do you guys use, any guide or guidance would be super appreciated <3

vRP is written to accept the steam identifier (i think) meaning everything in the database uses the steam id, writing a multiple character system would require everything to be changed to use character id rather than steam id. currently there is no public script or tutorial on how to do this.

I don’t know how to code , like at all, but couldn’t it be done like this, a template is created for the character , basically , if you pick character “A” , A’s you connect the server loads the face (witch you can edit at a clothing store so I assume it can be loaded) and the ID you gave the character? Obviously that wouldn’t fix the issue of shared bank balance and items / inventory lol

Basically the same way it loads/saves your t-shirt/pants, except it loads a different face/name and surname

1 Like

That is possible but again you are still going to have to edit the vRP scripts to accept the cid instead of the steam id

Hi,

vRP 2 will have multi-character (already done https://github.com/ImagicTheCat/vRP/tree/dev), selection is done inside a menu, but you can use the API to create any kind of UI.

2 Likes

That’s sounds great @Imagic <3 you should join our dev team, be our secret weapon to take over the rp world, I’ll pay you in cookies and haribo

1 Like

That much sugar would probably kill me.

3 Likes

I gotta question could u maybe show me like what it says when u havent made any charecters and i want to see the perspective of a new player

I know this thread is old and this problem has already been solved but coding isn’t hard to learn tbh. I only started with lua a year ago and I’m making a full framework successfully. For anyone searching for the answer here the issue isn’t that it can’t be done. The issue is when people make frameworks they don’t think ahead and create it in a way that either already incorportates multicharacter into the framework or don’t create a way for it to automatically work. Basically all that is needed is for the database to be set up in a way that it separates characters bit still links the identifier. For example add a character_id column as well. Then have the script for loading characters call for both the character_id column and the identifier column. This is also easier of the user info (the basic information thats not needed to be called except upon loading to the server) is separated into a separate table.

Hope this helps. This is the way my framework is currently functioning and is designed. I recommend learning to code at least a bit so you can modify the framework that you’re using to work as you want it to.

EDIT: Of course just to be clear when I mentioned calling a character_id column and identifier column thos would have to be linked correctly and called on everything from the skin to inventory to job to money, vehicles ect…