‘Mouse Input method’ setting of ‘windows’ breaks mouse input

Copied and pasted from my thread in Technical Support:

Basically when I set the “mouse input method” to “windows” the camera flails all over the place at the slightest mouse movement. I understand this setting used to cause the mouse to be frozen at the server selection screen. I find it difficult to play GTA with “DirectInput” or “Raw” settings as they disable mouse acceleration, which I depend on to be able to make full 180 turns with quick mouse movements while still being capable of aiming accurately with slow mouse movements.

Judging by the fact this bug has been around for so long I’m guessing that there’s some sort of monumental roadblock in the code that makes it difficult to fix this? Or is it just that no one’s bothered to report it or fix it?

1 Like

Could you atleast provide a problem definition and some reproduction steps?

Is my quote not visible in my original post? Or are you asking for a step-by-step?

Pause -> settings -> keyboard/mouse -> mouse input method -> Windows

Now un-pause and try to move the view around with the mouse.

@Syntasu Not sure if you saw my previous post. Are you able to reproduce the issue?

Is there a reason this isn’t being fixed? Should I make a new thread or what?

Yes: it’s not a priority at all to fix it for the total of one user who wants to use this setting. If you want it fixed, go and fix it yourself.

I’m sorry, but I’m not the only one that’s having this issue; When I originally checked for an existing thread back in 2018 I found several in the support section. Not that I expect it to be a high priority, but I think it’s a bit silly to not support an input method that’s native to the game. It exists for a reason and people do use it. Also, when since is FiveM open source? If the repository is open to pull requests I might see if I can hire someone to take a look at the issue.

Edit:
I need to stop believing everything I hear. Some fool told me that FiveM was closed source; Yet I just found the GitHub repo. I’ll have to see if I can find a friend who knows enough code to fix it.

1 Like

This appears to be fixed in the latest Release and Canary builds. A big thank you to whoever fixed it. It’ll take me a while to get used to the mouse acceleration again, but at least then I won’t loose every single shootout I get into on RP servers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Out of curiosity, was it this commit that fixed it? Or is it strictly related to the NUI?

I had a feeling that the input was broken as a side effect of something related to the NUI being added, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the commit that fixed it.