Linux Game Client?

running anything under wine sucks to be honest.

Wine sucks as a general rule but I run quite a bit under it with absolutely no issues or crashes.

Valve has made their own fork of Wine/DXVK called Proton, which works quite well and with minimum hassle.
Check “protondb” ,they have a community catalogue of which games work. :slight_smile:

Except they still don’t implement this required function, so that is not relevant whatsoever.

They do implement it, in the steam client named Steam Play.

Nope, they don’t implement shared resources.

This is the Valve fork. Note the API. They don’t implement it.

1 Like

Does it still work tho? Just curious

Steam play aka Valve console.
They use OpenGL for their SteamOS stuff.
Since linux doesn’t really do much with d3d.

EDIT
Unless vendors (amd/nvidia/intel) create drivers specifically for linux to target hardware.
WHICH will obviously not happen in a good while.

GTAV runs great on my new computer with Manjaro Linux and the native support built into the new Kernel for AMD cards. I’m running on a Radeon VII and get 130 ish frames with max settings @ 1440P. I tried to get FiveM installed with WINE last night and it would install but can’t run due to “elevated priviledges”. Does anyone know of a trick to not run FiveM as an Admin or can it be run as an admin somehow?

please read the thread, gtav working was never the problem, its the way they access the files to mod them in real time, that doesnt (yet) work on linux as far as i know.

…and it seems like its not gonna be supported ever. heres hoping gta 6 is in gl/vk and not directx

Yes we do want this!

I for one am interested. If DXVK refuses to even look at it, why don’t we look for an alternative? I’m just digging into the FiveM docs now. If an alternate library can work or there’s some other method i hope to find it. I’m not going back to windows.

2 Likes

DXVK is now available on Linux, so I hope this could be possible in near future. I have in plan to move completely to Linux and this will be a bonus if FiveM client will run on Linux soon.

1 Like

… what? ‘DXVK’ always was ‘available on Linux’ as it was literally meant for Linux.

It still doesn’t implement shared resources, however.

I would like to revive this topic as DXVK has added support for shared resources, and the client now works on Linux without the anticheat. With the only obstacle blocking linux users from playing FiveM being svadhesive, I’m wondering and or hoping that the community could come up with a solution for this. I know FiveM probably will never officially support Linux, but it would be nice if a solution was implemented for the svadhesive for wine/proton users.

2 Likes

Hi @DaBestServerOwner , do you know how it works please?

Because I tried via wine, via proton. I couldn’t get it to work, and it gave me an error message saying that wine doesn’t support insecure mode:

Cfx.re: Insecure mode

The game is running insecure mode because Wine is not supported by the anti-cheat components at this time.

Most servers, as well as some authentication features will be unavailable.

If you have the answer I’m interested.

Thanks in advance.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

There is currently no solution to this, the game client will run okay and you can play FiveM SP or play on a server with anticheat removed and authentication disabled. Cfx would have to update the anticheat / authentication for everything to work properly.

It also seems the Cfx Team does not have any care for fixing this as the docs state that " The FiveM client cannot run on Linux due to no support for shared resources in DXVK." even though DXVK 1.10.1 came out 2 years ago with support for shared resources and the game client itself runs fine through Wine now. This PR to update the docs to reflect that and re-open the issue from 2 years ago has also been ignored.

3 Likes

Even with rockstar backing they’re still too lazy to allow Linux support. It’s not happening chat

Yeah, hopefully this thread at least gets noticed so that Cfx can fix their documentation and at least make a statement about Linux.