Idea for FiveM can punish cheaters

There is 318 people in the server_owners group on this forum.

It’s not allegedly, you have to request the group, and it has to be approved by a moderator.

While I do agree, I think “us” as in the people in the server_owners group, actually take pride in what we do, and also want to see this community thrive.

With that being said, with the limited amount of people (compared to actual users) that the server_owners group consists of I can’t imagine 100 out of the 318 (current users) in server_owners would be wrong about a single user. Now I know I used an arbitrary number of 100, but, that’s not the point, the point would be if we had a resource that we used on our servers that was standardized that took a screenshot of their menu they’re using and used that as evidence accompanied by their user id information (steam id, rockstar id, discord id, etc.) that, that would be enough evidence not to cause a false positive.

1 Like

So? That’s still too many randoms to be able to trust them with banning others.

Right, who is going to maintain this resource? How about menus that don’t show anything on screen - those do happen? What about cheaters who don’t go through a consensus of 50-or-whatever monitored servers?

If even without the concept of ‘globally banning’ after a consensus of trusted servers, there is no community-maintained anticheat resource (though @Jaymo was planning on one based on some ideas we had…), what makes it likely that with the additional complexity of requiring cheaters to cheat on a large consensus of trusted servers (large enough to prevent Sybil attacks, even if after ‘vetted’ users), that the idea of a community server-side detection system would magically work?

Human review, meanwhile, takes human time, which is also a very scarce resource, and the ease of which a new GTA account is purchased, a network card replaced or removed and/or a Windows system reinstalled is also… yeah.

1 Like

I do agree with everything you’re saying, however, I do believe it would be a STEP in the right direction. It’s not perfect and the idea needs to be elaborated upon, but I believe something of the sort would be beneficial to the community.

The person that steps up to the plate to create said resource. Also, the people that aren’t in the server_owners group that own a server would need validation. And if they’re not in that group they don’t get supported for it.

It would be determined on a percentage of vetted server owners, so as the group grows so does the recommended amount before the person gets globally banned.

You’re 100% correct. But it most certainly will deter many more people if they know they have to go thru all those procedures to get back on the platform. Not everyone is made of money.

And while I’m typing this I see the hopelessness in this request, but I still retain some hope that it might come to fruition some day as now I saw recently that ip’s are now masked with the reverse dns on the server browser. So, I’ve said my peace, and appreciate the consideration.

And then… cheaters will just avoid those servers. :confused: That, and it’s hard to tag a screenshot with a creation date and other metadata… unless some cryptonerds have gotten a solution for this…

… right. In this concept, screenshot spoofing can be ‘fixed’ by letting the client submitting a screenshot ‘notarize’ the screenshot using their client entitlement token.

This is entirely the point… lol

It sure could be, but let’s not just limit the evidence to screenshots only, we can also include lua injection as well, and there is already a base script for known vulnerabilities.

But ya, you’re right it can be spoofed too… but this leads back to the community making the decision by having the same/similar results and having the percentage of server_owners consensus. And the more people that are in the group the harder it would be to trigger the ban.

Unless you’re insinuating that there will be a massive conspiracy where someone will create a bunch of accounts, get validated as a server owner and then target a single individual. Which could happen, but then again anything can happen, if man makes it man can break it. Which the only way you’re safe on the internet is by not being plugged into it. But I digress, thank you for the work that has been done as the current state of FiveM is pretty damn good.

The definition of a cheater varies depending on the server. Some servers will allow placing objects, some servers will allow Godmode to just mess around. Some servers will allow you to spawn any vehicle you want.

Server owners should be responsible for protecting their own server, much like it is their responsibility to write good code. Most cheats target vulnerable servers and it should not be FiveMs responsibility to stop script vulnerabilities. Of course, “Lua executors” or the like is something that cannot be stopped by a user, but it does not change the fact that what these kind of cheats allow is running game scripts.

Therefore, detecting abnormal behavior (being invincible, having a weapon when you shouldn’t have etc) combined with fixing the vulnerabilities your events have goes a very long way. A community sourced anticheat would help, but again, abnormal behavior depends on the game mode you have. RP servers running popular resources that have vulnerabilities, which are most targeted, should fix those vulnerabilities so doing such cheats is impossible in the first place. The cheat menus would be more rare if scripts are not vulnerable. You’re then left with cheats that are like your typical GTA trainer

Now, should cheaters using a cheat program go unpunished? No, I don’t believe so, but the defining a cheater based on visual checks and a combination of game behavior is unreliable to warrant a global ban. And I agree, data will be faked and it will be very difficult to determine with certainty that a reporter tells the truth. Even @server_owners as the only requirement to join that group is having 150+ members.

2 Likes

I still agree with most of them, fivem devs should provide us with an anticheat since they have all the data they know much better then us server owner what cheats they use and how we should protect our servers, they can do an anticheat themself and sell it to us like they do with platinum keys I will pay for it if that will protect my server but otherwise we are unprotected most of anticheats require a license that you have to buy it, and the free anticheats are bad and outdated what we should do in this case ? Pay for it ? Is against fivem rules, take 1 is free ? Is doing nothing

There is already one. It might, however, not detect “paid”/private cheats that nobody has provided to us. That is inherent to any anticheat.

You’d be amazed how little info we have, as nobody provides us with any information at all.

That, and as said above by @d0p3t, the definition of a “cheat” differs on every game server. Quite some servers might actually consider it perfectly acceptable to spawn a multitude of peds; blocking such based on behavior globally therefore would stifle creativity on the mod ecosystem.

Most of the so-called “anticheat” you see sold is not as much an anticheat as it is a protection racket: usually they’re sold by cheat authors and don’t perform any protection, they just add your server to not be allowed to use their cheat on: similarly to how a protection racket would charge you not to be assaulted by the seller of the protection racket. With the amount of unique cheats growing as it does, these provide negligible protection in fact.

That, and 2take1free is a bad example, since that is in fact being detected and hundreds of people are getting banned for it daily.

4 Likes

And if we start sending data about private cheats again will you be able to make a good protection against it ? For example, I bought an anticheat, I know the rules of FiveM about that but I had to to do it since I was not able to find anything better and is does help me a lot not really blocking the triggerevents but at least is telling me who is triggering some events who has God mode spectate and some more other stuff, I already mentioned that I know the rules about buying outside of FiveM platform, but since I had no other options because fivem is not providing me a better solution I had to do it, I’m paying 160 euros a month for the host and the platinum key, and I have no profit from my server since i offer almost everything with points that you make with activity but I enjoy having such a great community with a lot of great peoples and everyone is happy with they’re rp and free stuff until a “great” guy start exploding and spawning things and attach windmill to everyone

If we somehow obtained these cheats and gave them to the elements. Would that help them for creating an anti cheat of sorts?

Yes, until the cheats are changed again, like they do quickly.

Yes you did. Writing your own anticheat like many of us have.

There are ways to combat this.

For explosions see here

For “spawning things” see AntiCheese that has examples of how to blacklist objects. See here

For “attach windmill to everyone” same concept as objects blacklist. Check for objects attached to a player ped and delete the objects.

It’s really not about FiveM not providing you a better solution, as a server maintainer/owner you have to engage yourself, take responsibility and combat them using your own detection methods. Cheaters will always exist, no matter how much “anti-cheat” FiveM throws at them. That’s the nature of the beast. Every single game has cheaters. It’s up to you to also detect cheaters that bypass such.

You buying an anti-cheat is just a lazy way to combat them and you giving in to the protection racket that these cheat makers setup.

See List of Vulnerable and Abused Events and How hackers can exploit your servers and what to do about it for more tips on creating an anticheat.

If others can do it, you can too!

Yes definitely! But remember, it’s a cat and mouse game.

1 Like

I’m probably going to end up editing the anti-cheese anticheat for my very own server and re-reading this whole post to get some ideas. I will also try to share what I find.

Did that already, I’m not the best scripter I do write some part of codes but trust me making something from 0 to 100 not being able at least not yet, I started scripting less then 1 month ago and I did everything I could to protect my servers, that doesn’t mean i’m lazy or I don’t care I’m just simply not that well prepared to make such a script myself and btw that explosion thing is 0 not working at least not for me idk why I changed the events to protect the server from money hacks and spawning weapons and some object

If I could find either of you developers participating in this thread on the cfx.re project hub discord, I’d message you regarding lots of information including a p2c

names on here and on the discord are randomized periodically, just mention any of such group member on there

noone on there has a role?

no they definitely do though, just no roles are hoisted

try completing nicknames like “astatine” or “manganese”

want to know how to stop cheating cheat yourself try it learn how they work and learn how to prevent them works like charm or stop using public scripts and if you do change functions and triggers to something else