[How-To] Create/modify your own add-on car

This will teach you how to make ANY car into an add-on car, regardless if it was supposed to replace a car or not. This is a good choice for people who wish to keep all the original cars of the game while having their favorite cars installed. Also this is a good way to make your car customizable, so you can make any edits you want to it, whether you want to make a super tank jeep that’s indestructible… Or you want to make your SUV stop tipping over by editing its handling entry.

I have a file that contains some basic instructions on how to do this, and also contains instructions on how to modify your car.

This is the example file with all the information/instructions:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3pqZeDQ_zC-Nm92UDRnYkJvc2c&resourcekey=0-I2zxCpy6T858Jx_t41hD9w

Here is a list of websites that will help you find other bits of info on modifying cars:

Edit handling.meta

Edit vehicles.meta

About Siren and Light IDs

Vehicle Name/Hashes for Audio/Other Entries

Weapon Hash List for Vehicle/Reward Weapons

Color Index for carvariations.meta

I hope this provides a decent amount of useful information, like making ANY car have sirens and such.

UPDATE:

I added more things in the handling.meta and vehicles.meta files. Now you can see how to add weapons to vehicles, but ONLY if the vehicle model supports vehicle weapons.

UPDATE 2:

I added a file that gives a small handful of weapon hashes that can be used for vehicle weapons, all of them I had proven works well with armed vehicles. This hash list gives a brief description of each of the proven weapon hashes.

UPDATE 3:

Added a new weapon hash to the weapon hash info document ( VEHICLE_WEAPON_TURRET_INSURGENT ), and sorted it alphabetically.

13 Likes

Oops, sorry for broken _resource.lua its fixed now

Remember, I wont have answers for every question, so always try your BEST yes your actual best, to research how to do certain things. If you find anything interesting about vehicle modification, please share and I might add the information to the tutorial files.

I touched up some info in the texture editing folder, just a typo correction and explained why adding the .yft files is a good idea.

touched up the texture editing README.

Thanks man, this was and will be very helpful for new people!

1 Like

Thanks, if you have any questions let me know.

Does someone knows how to make towtruck works as in gta5?

Hmm, probably handled by a carvariations.meta file or a carcols.meta… only issue is, the default ones are encrypted and I don’t know any DLC with tow trucks…

Nah, its none of those files, either its handling.meta / vehicles.meta thing , or the tow hitch is programmed into the model…

Nice, thanks for linking my GTA Forums documentation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem, your post is one of the most important documentations for custom cars out there, and yet, its something that is discussed so little, it was quiet a find.

If you post anything else that might be important, you can message me to link it on here anytime.

1 Like

Ok :slight_smile: I update the documentation yesterday :slight_smile: I explain now there in detail how everyone can create his own light settings ID

1 Like

Hi, do you know how to get cars that use the dashboard type VDT_RACE to work?
The needles are all not properly aligned with the speedometer and RPM meter on the dash.

Send them to me when you get a chance, i will look at them for you.

1 Like

you need this https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/script_rt_dials_race-template if you the car modder

Where do I have to add those textures to for an add-on car(not replaced car)?

I said if you the car modder, otherwise its not possible

What do you mean exactly? If your talking about the .ytd file it self, it just goes in stream folder.

If you are talking about custom textures, just add them to the .ytd that belongs to the added car. Just remember, make sure that you only replace/add textures that are being used by the car model.

Does anyone have a meta i can edit for a single addon car.

1 Like