[Guide] A beginner guide for starting your own server

Could this be moved to the tutorials category?

Soo… I have now seen multiple posts regarding people needing “developers”… A typical post would be “I am making a server and i need a developer”… This is unreadable for “developers”, or translates into “I want to be owner of a server, i have not researched anything about server, cant be bothered to do so… Someone make the server for me”…

So now, if you actually want help, you should prepare yourself for a lot of work ahead.

First of all, there is one very important thing you should get familiar with. That is not all developers do the same thing. So when you ask for developer, you don’t end up with an artist to do your server work.

A mod is called a resource in the FiveM community.

There is three types of developers

Server developer

Manages or sets up a server. This is the type of developer that most of you want to reach.

Resource developer

A programmer that can make a resources for your server.

Artist

An artist can make 3d models or 2d UI (user interface) for a Resource developer to use.

Now you know what developer to look for. What now? Well… You could just be lazy and find one, and just let them do whatever with the server or resource meanwhile you have no idea of whats going on… Therefor you need some knowledge of servers and resources before starting.

Setting up server
First of all, you should try to set up a server on your own computer. To learn this go read the docs or watch a video tutorial on this, i recommend the video below.

Installing a resource
Now you got your server, now lets install the first resource for the server. Its pretty straight forward for many people, but for some it can be very hard to understand. I recommend the following video tutorial.

Alright, so we got the basics for setting up a server, but what if we want a resource specifically built for our own server? Instead could you at least bother to learn some programming before you go ask any resource developer? This guy named Nelson Sexton learnt programming as 14 years old coding Roblox, he went off to release a game on steam earning him at least a million dollars… I have heard the answer to not learn programming “i don’t have time” a lot of times… If you don’t have time to learn programming, how do you have time to manage a server? Jeva on youtube has a lot of good video tutorials on using lua, watch the two series below.

You can read more about resource development here: https://docs.fivem.net/scripting-manual/

After this, you could probably make any resource yourself, but most people are probably not “its too much work”… Alright, so you know the basics of the resource you want, you know you need a resource developer… Use this information to post a topic on the forum… https://forum.cfx.re/c/server-development/server-bazaar

Uploading your server to a host
You can find some video tutorials by yourself… But this should not be necessary, since you already know how to setup a server.

Sooooo… We have the entire server setup and ready to release for the public… You have your premium rank set up that the players can buy to gain extra vehicles and so on… What could go wrong? If you had this in mind for your server, you probably skipped a very important step in using FiveM, ever heard of something called “Terms of Service”? In beginner words its a list of rules you agree to follow when you start using any software. Its pretty important that you read this document for FiveM, and basically everything you use on your computer… You can find the document yourself…

I highly recommend everyone to read and learn everything that one might come by. Knowledge is key in the modern world.

Now, when you start learning new stuff, you feel like you know everything, and that you’re sooo clever… Chances are that everyone you talk to has a lot more knowledge than you, to them you are a newbie.

Thats all… Pretty simple right? Don’t be lazy!

If anyone finds anything offensive… Let me know, and i will edit it.

Best regards
Bazze

4 Likes

Thank you for you’re information this will help alot of people who are new to the developing side of fivem +100 respect:smiley:

I…honestly don’t see the benefit of this guide. The work is appreciated, but 99% of the actual content is just linked-to videos.

If someone can’t figure out some of this on their own they really shouldn’t attempt to run their own server.

Except, people are still trying to run their own server when they cant figure this out… I dont really want to waste time on explaining this every single time someone comes by… Maybe if they find this, they will get on the right track.