We have pushed out an update to pΛ on the production branch, again. It's still a client update, and it still only contains bug fixes.
- Update session arbitrator when server sends
msgIHost message. This might resolve some conflicts with two people joining an empty server at the same time.
- Don't play
SND_ALIAS_SYSTEMHAND when becoming session arbitrator. This confused a fair few community members.
- Resolve an uncommon bypass for validation.
- More work towards fixing GPU initialization issues. Now, people with AMD-graphics laptops should get either a working game, or a different error, and NVIDIA laptop users might have behavior change slightly.
- Internal code refactoring to optimize the build process. As for technical details, this makes
CoreRT.dll linked implicitly, not explicitly.
- Potential performance improvements reducing a hot path on the main thread.
- Fix compatibility with Windows 10 Insider Preview.
- Prevent Winsock LSPs from loading. This should resolve the issue that causes the Rockstar launcher to hang on Loading indefinitely.
A recent update that was pushed to production added game validation to the CitizenFX client. This is an early iteration of this feature, and it is meant to ensure the safe performance of all authorized activities. Do not destroy it.
If you own a Steam copy of GTA V, this validation will have completed seamlessly. If you own a retail version, you'll probably have been greeted with the activation prompt, asking you to enter Social Club credentials.
These credentials, as you would be able to see if checking a packet capture tool such as Wireshark, and as the window itself says as well, will only be sent to the Rockstar Online Services (
prod.ros.rockstargames.com), and are not saved locally, nor sent to any remote server other than the Rockstar services.
What is saved locally, however, is a system token linking your game activation to your Windows user account and computer system.
We assume there's mutual trust between the project and its users, and re-adding this check has been done to cause the project to adhere to any and all applicable laws. Remember, CitizenFX is the oldest GTA/RAGE modification still in active development, despite a hiatus where the project went without any developers, there's nearly a 3-year lineage in the modification's history!
To the people that don't trust this validation, do note that by running an arbitrary executable, you've already implicitly given your trust to access all files on your system that your user has access to - if we wanted to do anything malicious, why would we put it in your face like that?
Other than that, we've still been working on various actual improvements in the background, and don't forget to post your feature requests! We have a snail and some fishies working on tracking them down.