F8 Console Disable From Server Option:

The Console’s primary purpose is to display client side debug information. Allow authorized users to execute commands, and allow any user to type ‘quit’ (Which can easily be done with Alt+F4, through the Esc Menu Disconnect, Exit game, Ctrl+Alt+Del, or powering off your computer.)

Feature Request: An option should be added that the client asks permission before allowing the Console to open when connected to a server, much like the sv_scriptHookAllowed option that already exists.

Point: (Pro - In favor of)

1. FiveM Releases: https://forum.cfx.re/c/development/releases otherwise known as public resources/scripts are distributed by FiveM, but their content is not moderated by FiveM.
  2. Public scripts could contain any number of backdoor commands which any user on your server could activate through the F8 Console.
  3. The vast majority of all FiveM servers use public scripts. Most FiveM server owners have neither the time nor skill to discern every capability contained within.
  4. F8 Console is a ‘hack me here center’ enabling exploitative users to take an endless chance at finding a weakness in your server’s security without any publicly viewable oversight.
  5. F8 Console currently cannot be disabled by any means. But can be disabled with a fix, according to several FiveM Elements.

Counterpoint: (Con - Against) (And I would prefer FiveM make their own counterpoint, please ignore this and move on to theirs if they have)

1. FiveM is a hardware store and The F8 Console is a door. They are not responsible for what you do with it. Or your lack of security.
  2. FiveM does not distributed any resources, except the client and server. They just host FiveM Releases https://forum.cfx.re/c/development/releases for you to download, without moderation of them.
  3. If your server is secure you have nothing to worry about. A secure server cannot be compromised through the Console by any known means. And the client should never be completely trusted as it is available Open Source.
  4. Like all things in life. Buyer Beware. You download public scripts at your own risk.
  5. The more vocal FiveM staff are thoroughly opposed to offering any option: it is a waste of their time, not needed, not wanted, they’ve already said no, not possible, enforced by forum post locking [1] [2] [3]. By these people. Who wanted it…

[1] F8 console needs to be removed
[2] Disable ingame F8 console for player turn off? [LOCKED] 15h ago
[3] How to disable F8 Console? [LOCKED] 14h ago

Vote on the upper left please. And forum trolls and concerned citizens alike. Pro or Con. Register your vote, give us your constructive comments please. Should F8 Console have a disable option?

1 Like

Not if you use the RegisterCommand native correctly, it does not.

How is this a problem with the console? You can manually review or, get someone who knows code to review, the code yourself. If you’re lazy, wait until someone from the community reviews it and points out the flaws. Don’t just blindly download and install resources…

OK. So, when someone in your community finds a command that isn’t using the RegisterCommand native properly (i.e. they can run it when they’re not “supposed” to) then tell the developer and ask them to fix it. The worst case scenario is that they tell you a file and line to edit yourself.

Hahaha, what? No it isn’t. How is it? Seriously. the only “problem” you’ve pointed out that can be seen as a vunrability is users being able to run commands. Again, if the developers used it correctly (and don’t use the shitty chatMessage hack they’ve been using) then, this would not be a problem. They can just as easily run the command through a normal chat message (e.g. “/admin”) instead of going to the console. Again, this is a problem with the shitty developers not using the natives correctly.

The “fiix” is to write some code in C++ and re-build the client. Then, you’d have to somehow force your users to use this client (I don’t fucking know how you’re going to do this) otherwise, they can still use it with the normal client.

What?!

There is some moderation. Saying “there is none” is wrong. I, personally take a quick look over new releases and, I’m sure, other members of the community do. If someone flags the release, it will get a more in-depth look.

This. At least you’ve written it down… Maybe it’ll subconsciously seep into your mind. Tell the developers to update their code, and your problems are solved. Why you think this needs a new component in the client is beyond me.

Nope. If you read the threads you have linked, there was a discussion. They then proceeded to tell you why your arguments for this “feature” are invalid. Instead of taking them on, you proceed to say you need this etc. There is no need for this. It’s only you that wants this. Instead of removing stuff like the chat and hoping your users aren’t smart enough to use the console, get your resources fixed.

8 Likes

No. Just no. This is a terrible idea. The console is harmless. If you think it’s unsafe then that’s your fault for using bad resources.

2 Likes

Oh, no, are we back at this? Are you serious? Your question has already been answered twice now.

2 Likes

seriously, stop.