[Dev Tool / Release] Lua Native Function Code Hints in Notepad++ (v3.0)

Code Hints in Notepad++ (Native functions hints)

I’ve made a FiveM lua auto-completion file for Notepad++ containing (almost) all Native Functions. This was requested (and joked about) by @Bluethefurry on Discord.

Example screenshots:

How to use it:

1. Download the zip from github.
  2. Extract the lua.xml file form the zip file.
  3. Go to your Notepad++ installation folder.
  4. Go into plugins/APIs
  5. Copy the lua.xml file that you just extracted to this folder.
  6. Use CTRL + SPACE while writing inside of a .lua file to get function hints. (Example in the first screenshot above)
  7. When you have your cursor between the two ( ) brackets of a function, press CTRL + SHIFT + SPACE to get information on how to use the function. (Example in the second screenshot above!)

Feel free to change anything to your liking, just don’t re-release this file without giving credit to me.
This file was made using a custom coded script, some descriptions of certain functions might be incorrect due to the limitations of JavaScript scripting. If you see any mistakes just head over to the GitHub repository and create a pull request to fix it.

Change log

changelog spoiler
v2.0

Changes in v2.0

+ Added common lua keywords and functions.
+ Added Citizen.Wait() and Citizen.CreateThread()
+ Updated all natives to the latest version as of 14-12-2017.
+ Reduced the amount of incorrect hints by rewriting my script that's used to create this file.

Possibly other changes that I already don't remember.
v2.0.1

Big update 18-09-2017 (this is not the latest version)

Please update to the latest version whenever possible, this update contains a lot of fixes, improvements and changes. There’s honestly too much to list.

v2.1
v3.0

Update v3.0

Download Lua Code Hints v3.0

Changes:
This update contains a completely new layout of the info, it’s now all limited to 100 characters wide (excluding function names + parameters) so you can actually see the full window without having to have 3 monitors for some long natives.

It’s also up to date as of today (25-10-2018). Might contain bugs, but at least it’s up to date again. PRs to fix mistakes are welcome!

21 Likes

Sweeeeet! This is great! Going to save so much time with this! Thanks for sharing!

absolutely beautiful, you should upload it to a git so we can fix it together :wink:

2 Likes

Will do it later today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Done! Can be accessed here.
I’ve pushed a few updates today to clean it up a lot, make sure to use the latest version :wink:

1 Like

Update v1.3 (18-09-2017)

Many changes, download the latest version here.

1 Like

Nice, thanks @Vespura and @Bluethefurry!

1 Like

Update v2.0. What’s new?

+ Added common lua keywords and functions.
+ Added Citizen.Wait() and Citizen.CreateThread()
+ Updated all natives to the latest version as of 14-12-2017.
+ Reduced the amount of incorrect hints by rewriting my script that's used to create this file.

Possibly other changes that I already don't remember.

Download: https://github.com/TomGrobbe/Lua-Code-Hints/releases

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

(20 Ch)

Update v2.1

This update is not on github yet, as I need to improve and add some stuff. But not sure when I’ll get around to doing that.

Changes

Download

lua.xml (1.7 MB)

Note

There are some wrong natives like TriggerEventInternal instead of TriggerEvent but I don’t have time to fix those right now, it’s not a lot but a few CitizenFX Api set natives aren’t 100% correct.

1 Like

Update v3.0

Download Lua Code Hints v3.0

Changes:
This update contains a completely new layout of the info, it’s now all limited to 100 characters wide (excluding function names + parameters) so you can actually see the full window without having to have 3 monitors for some long natives.

It’s also up to date as of today (25-10-2018). Might contain bugs, but at least it’s up to date again. PRs to fix mistakes are welcome!

1 Like

Thanks for this. This will be very useful. Just found this topic and i wish i would of found this way before but anyway. Cool resource. Thank You!

i dont got a APIs folder?

No more APIs folder avaible (still exist but hidden).

Stop NotePad++
Go to the folder (by default) C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\autoCompletion
Replace the actual lua.xml by this one from the github (of course make a save of the original lua.xml)
Restart NotePad++

Enjoy !