Changes regarding FiveM servers

Starting tomorrow (December 17th, 2017), only servers that have a valid license key will be displayed publicly on the FiveM game services. Recent server versions (around ~426 and up) already require a license key on startup, so this practically means that any server version starting at 426 is required to maintain your server listing.

In addition, more recent server builds (445/446 and up) include a fix for a denial of service exploit discovered by @blcd, so are generally recommended.

Here’s a small FAQ when it comes to server keys.

• Q: Why are you requiring server keys?
    A: There are multiple reasons for us to require server keys. Other than the obvious reason of providing a contact point to contact server owners in case of any issues, we are also using server keys to enforce the ToS on providing paid services using FiveM, especially the use of unauthorized game server providers that provide FiveM servers.
  • Q: What is considered a GSP?
    A: A GSP (game server provider) is a commercial entity that provides preconfigured game servers, in this case for the FiveM modification.
  • Q: Why is only ZAP-Hosting allowed to provide game servers?
    A: The original state when the FiveM Service Agreement went into effect (March of 2017) was that no GSP was allowed to provide FiveM servers whatsoever. This was amended in August to allow ZAP-Hosting to provide game servers exclusively in return for undisclosed benefits to the FiveM project. Why? Because they were the first to read the ToS and ask through official channels.
  • Q: But I don’t want to pay ZAP-Hosting, what do I do?
    A: You can also still rent a VPS or dedicated server from a server provider (see below for the limitations on what is considered a VPS!), or host a server on your own home connection for free. ZAP-Hosting only has exclusivity on preconfigured/self-configuring FiveM servers.
  • Q: How can I get in on this deal? I’m a GSP!
    A: At this time, ZAP-Hosting is the exclusive provider for preconfigured FiveM servers. Should this change, we’ll inform the community.
  • Q: I’ve seen game server providers provide ‘GTA V VPS servers’, are these allowed?
    A: A VPS/dedicated server is defined by the fact that you have root access to the server/virtual machine acting as a server, and that you are allowed to run any application on this server. A VPS service only allowing FiveM/other GTA V multiplayer modifications does not count as an actual VPS in general terms, and is solely intended to circumvent the ToS.
  • Q: I work for a GSP. Can I allow users to upload the FiveM server files to a VPS, and have our own software preconfigure it?
    A: As long as this does not involve any of the FiveM services covered by the ToS (which it probably doesn’t!), this is allowed. As a general note, no ties to a commercial entity are allowed for use of the FiveM server files.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask, or email pr@fivem.net for more official inquiries.

12 Likes

quick question, so is https://low.ms selling fivem preconfigured servers illegally?

1 Like

As mentioned, the only authorised GSP is Zap-Hosting, and low.ms identify themselves as a GSP, which goes against FiveM ToS.

roger, thanks for the quick reply. i asked them in their official discord server, since i own 2 servers there and i was not aware of this. Waiting for a reply from them now.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. So it starts today or tomorrow?

That’s todays date :confused:

So does this mean the server host we are using now will remove it?, And to specify it wont be publicly displayed?

Any news on a possible addition of utilizing client side custom .meta and .ymt files without fatal errors? Cant utilize some things on the server without it in terms of my own vehicles. Is their a program that will help allow it onto FiveM possibly?

What about older versions that doesent require license keys, what is going to happen there?

Read the announcement again.

whoops, fixed!~

2 Likes

Haha thank you that cleared things up.

I have my serwer on VPS version 446 with license. But my server is not on list? Why?

4 Likes

Yeah man, same here getting the exact same problem you are. but im on a dedicated server.

4 Likes

We are also seeing our server not listed in the server list. Players must use direct connect. Server key is applied in server.cfg accepted when server is launched.
Linux - 446

Update. Issue resolved with no action on our end.

1 Like

I dont understand to be honest i have a dedicat server with is not from zap or the other one and i have update it to 447 why is not listed?

Same here. Not on the list but I can direct connect without any issues. Also have a VPS.

i send them and email but i doubt they will gonna answer at least if they could give us a clear stuff

So, you have a dedicated server that is being hosted that is not from ZAP Hosting and you’re wondering why your server is not listed?

Let me help you with your reading skills…

To add some further detail for you…

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but a VPS can be hosted by anyone as long as it’s not through A GSP. You’re able to use a VPS not affiliated with Zap. I believe Zap is the only one that can sell pre-configed servers. I have a VPS from an actual company, not a GSP and my server isn’t showing either. But by your post, your making it sound as if only Zap hosted servers are the only ones that are going to be listed. Is that correct?

Like I said I could be completely wrong.

I believe you’re correct, you can have a VPS hosted anywhere however you cannot have a GSP outside of ZAP. I believe this has something to do with server code.

Above is from the original post.