An 'access denied' error was encountered when updating FiveM

GTA V version? 1.41
Up to date? Yes
Legit or Pirate copy? Legit
Steam/CD/Social Club? Social Club
Windows version? 8.1 Pro
Did you try to delete caches.xml and try again? Yes
Error screenshot (if any) Dialog saying: `An ‘access denied’ error was encountered when updating FiveM. Please try to run the game as an administrator, or contact support.
System specifications i7 GTX 760
What did you do to get this issue? Started FiveM Like i do 10 times a day.
What server did you get this issue on? None
CitizenFX.log file
.dmp files/report IDs

If an issue with starting:

Did you try to disable/uninstall your Anti-virus? I have none. I prefer to lag and be part of a botnet.

Also add what you already tried so far.

My GTA V is totally stock, never modified. I live on FiveM night and day and never change anything. The problem is related to your new update. Tried running it as administrator: from start menu, from desktop, from install location. Same message… Tries to update and fails. Cannot start FiveM. I am now homeless.

Worked around with reboot

I just had this same issue. I reinstalled my fivem and it worked. Please just make sure to load into a server first before modifying your fivem at all.

Second update today. This is perhaps my 50th FiveM update, same machine no changes ever, second update, same error. Worked around with reboot. Yet nearly identical 8.1 Pro machine built from the same image as the other updating fine, no error, no reboot.

1 Like

do you mean like a computer reboot because im having the same issue?

Do you mean like a computer reboot because im having the same issue?

Yes reboot your computer after you see this message as a workaround. Is this the first time this error has happened to you?

Im getting an error that says:
Win32 error 183 was encountered when updating fivem (moving to .old)
Yes this is the first time
I will try to reboot my computer to see if it works.

That is not the same error. Please start your own support issue.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.