A PSA on Steam identifier support

Just anecdotal, but I’ve had my license change twice without my own intervention. I know because my permissions on a server stopped working and the owner had to insert yet another license for me.

It’s happened to a couple others as well but I have no idea what causes it and it seems rare…

1 Like

That’d lead to said identifier being a single point of failure and forum identities are even harder to distribute/make highly available than the current CnL ticketing system.

2 Likes

Live and Discord are often NULL and IPs change so that really only leaves Steam and license. With Steam possibly disappearing, I don’t understand how we’re supposed to use a combination of identifiers. Do you mean that we should force Discord or Live on the players (like Steam is currently for some frameworks) so we can use it in conjunction with license?

Second question: how sure is it that license will always be available to us? Is that that something that could possibly break in the future or is that a situation in which we would have much larger issues(like R giving a big nope to the project)?

1 Like

What about fivem forum account linked? Is it possible for it to be used as a account validation?

1 Like

As said by @hydrogen That’d lead to said identifier being a single point of failure and forum identities are even harder to distribute/make highly available than the current CnL ticketing system.

I see… My question is… using GetPlayerName native usually displays steam name… how will it be handled?

Thanks for awnser me. And i wrote world because my phone has the corrector in my own lenguage, Spanish. I would like to see how speak spanish like i speak. :wink:

I’m with Schwim on this one, how do we know its not going to change again in the future and is there something solid we can figure out and use instead? besides just discord cause as stated its unstable at this moment and in beta testing without being able to identify individuals with unique identifiers makes things kinda tricky I suppose. Would love to know what measures we will take in the future to avoid it from changing yet again.

how are we supposed to use multiple identifiers when we only have 1 identifier which constantly changes and another which apparently also likes to change sometimes, steamid is the only “real” static identifier as you cant change your steamid.

also, discord usually doesnt work either, so in reality we only have 1 semi-working identifier at a given time if steam won’t work.

Social club license might even work but how are we supposed to ask it to players to whitelist them / get their names in script instead of steam names

Players can set their name in the FiveM settings page

1 Like

Welp, bye bye “proper” whitelisting…

essentialmode uses steam identifiers in conjunction with license. Their DB calls are reliant on the identifier for established users, which stores their steam identifier, not license. While they also do store the FiveM license, it’s dependent on the steam identifier. https://github.com/kanersps/essentialmode/blob/master/server/db.lua – lines 229-246 illustrate the function that retrieves the user from the db, which passes only the steam identifier. https://github.com/kanersps/esplugin_mysql/blob/master/server.lua – lines 14-23 show the implementation using MySQL

The identifier field passed around essentialmode is the steam identifier field. Some functions do pass licenses, but it does seem to use steam identifiers predominately.

Why are you (as in FiveM) not able to obtain your own AppID? Is it due to the fact that it is a modification to another game (GTA V)? Is there any way that R* would allow you to use their AppID / obtain your own?

For all of you complaining, it’s quite simple, make use of an account registration/login system with your own unique identifier, quite easy.

2 Likes

Jesus. Well this just happened. Guys do not fear. A solution will come soon enough I’m sure. And even then when users can’t join edit a message to tell them to opt out of steam beta.

That would work once you’re past connecting and loading screen, as for my test server I rely on steam identifier to check if player is even whitelisted otherwise it blocks the connection. If we could use a login screen before even connecting that would be something… Feel like it might be easier to implement their own identifier system than a login screen.

Simple as letting them register but have a bool on the sql: whitelisted/notwhitelisted and you change to 1 if you whitelist him, you save time on whitelisting before hand and before player can even get whitelisted he’s got to register.

One can always use usernames(name option in settings) and passwords for logging into their server. Old fashioned and backwards but you can garauntee unique players.

i dont really think that’s how it works, the license never changes…

i’d do something like this:

is license in db? then user exists

otherwise, do discord or live match anything in the db? then this is the same user, update the license.